Monday, September 24, 2007

A Beautiful Dancer

I stare with admiration. I look upon the girl I wish to one day be. The only word to describe what I stare at is beauty. And when I say beauty, I mean the dancer exceeds the normal in appearance and outlook. As the ballerina dances, I see the perfection within every movement she makes. Her Pointe shoes make a “clicking” sound as she glides across the dance room, her body gracefully moves with the music.
Her fingers well formed. Showing the proper poise a dancer should have. Her head is lifted high with confidence. The expression she holds across her face is effortless as if it was easy enough for a two-year-old to do. She holds her abdominals tight, and her posture held upright. She quickly makes her way to the right of the room, she holds her position, she waits for the exact beat, exact count . . . off she goes! She chassés across the floor, 1, 2, delicately crosses her arms across her chest, 3, 4, leaps into mid-air 5, 6. I keep my eyes open, not wanting to blink. I dare not miss one second of her performance. She holds the leap in a perfect position as if she were frozen or floating in mid-air. The height of the leap is spectacular. She seems to hold the position long enough for a photograph to be taken. 7, 8, she lightly steps onto the ground barely making a sound, as if she were landing on clouds.
She wears a pink tutu dress that flows with any movement she makes. As she dances, the tutu dress moves from side to side. The top of the dress hugs her stomach showing her muscular abdominals. The tutu is long, puffy, and sheer. I close my eyes and imagine that the tutu dress is on me. I see myself dancing around on a stage with the light directly on me. I picture myself doing the exact movements the ballerina was doing. Oh how I wish this was true.
I have been dancing since I was five-years-old. Dance has become my passion. Nothing excites me more than performing in front of a large crowd. Learning a routine, perfecting it, then performing for others to observe is such a great accomplishment for me. When I see professional dancers doing a technique I am attempting to perfect, it only pushes me to practice harder and to always do my best. I’ve gone to ballets before, and I have seen many performances, just being there puts a smile on my face, and I simply fall in love with dance itself. Whether I am watching a dance performance, watching a newly released dance movie, or buying a new dance poster, I can’t help but think it’s beautiful.
So I step into the room finally and decide to sit in front of the mirror to watch the ballerina dance. I stare with admiration. I look upon the girl I wish to one day be.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I love the tense and tone of this paper. I'm definitely not a dancer, but this felt very personal even to me!